Thursday, October 17, 2013

Is There Such Thing As 'Bad' Food?

If you had asked me a couple years ago I would have have hands down labeled a food as 'good', 'bad', 'dirty', 'clean'. With this way of thinking I'm going to be honest with you it made me eliminate food items and even food groups. Don't get me wrong it got me results. I achieved the abs I wanted because after all that was really my main focus. BUT I developed an unhealthy relationship with food over the attractiveness of my abs. In the end to ME the relationship I had with food was much more unhealthy than eating a damn cupcake! Does this sound like you?

Then hear me out. I want to clear something up for you. Yes, it took me 2 years to figure it out and I'm still practicing and getting better at it. Hey I'm human just because I'm knowledgeable doesn't mean I know everything, but I always find answers that's for sure. Know this; THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS BAD OR GOOD FOOD. Heck! there's no such thing as 'clean' food. Let me put this into perspective. A Paleo eater thinks oats and beans are not clean they prefer sweet potatoes and fruits as their carbohydrate sources. Then who's right? NO ONE! bodybuilders have been eating oats and beans for years (ask Arnold!) and check out the physiques they have been able to obtain and bring to stage competitions. On the flip side Paleo eaters too have been able to get body fat down to low levels with their way of eating. 


(Above: In Maui holding my favorite carb Kabocha Sqaush)

What I want you to take away from this message is that your body is very smart it knows what to do with the food you put into your body. If you give your body to much food and you don't expand enough of it (exercise, etc.) you will store it making you fat. If you don't give your body enough food and you expand too much it will feel worn down and tired. If you fill your body with just enough food you won't get fat nor feel tired, you are right in the middle. Now that you understand that then why does mom always want you to eat your veggies? Well mom had a good point.

So you now know there is no such thing as good or bad food so then does that give you a free for all to eat all the food all the time? Yes and no. Food always has nutrition in some way. It's that simple. 1,000 calories worth of pop-tarts is the same as 1,000 calories worth of bananas. Calories are calorie that's pure science. But WHAT those calories consist of is what makes each food item different. 1,000 calories worth of eggs, avocado, oatmeal, and broccoli will provide you fat to keep your hormone levels in check, protein to build muscle/recover, and carbs for energy and brain function and not to mention down to the 'micro'nutrients the vitamins and minerals it provides. However, 1,000 calories worth of pop-tarts provides mainly carbohydrates with the majority being sugar, a lot of fat mainly from hydrogenated oils and it provides very little protein. Does it make them bad? No. However the latter meal won't help your muscles recover from training, will more than likely not cause fullness due to the bulk being small hence causing you to overeat hence making you fat.

There's not such thing as bad or good food in my OPINION there is such thing as more nutritious foods than others. Hence why I can eat what I want whenever I want and it's no big deal. When you eliminate and start labeling food as bad or good you'll want it 10x more. I've read articles on athletes that train so much they sometimes HAVE to eat junk food just to consume enough calories! Food really is after all food but it's up to you how nutritious you want to make it in order to help you reach your goals faster. Never obsess over food it should never own you.




1 comment:

  1. This is kind of off topic but.. I'm 4'9" and 103 lbs. Am I too heavy? I'm 14.

    ReplyDelete